The Ancient Benefits of the Platza Treatment
At Body by Brooklyn, you can experience an ancient spa treatment that's rarely found in Western spas. In our Russian Sauna, you can opt for a Platza treatment, a traditional Russian massage practice that uses a venik, or a bundle of leaves and twigs that have been soaked in hot water and essential oils.
After relaxing in the sauna, a Platza master can use the venik in a variety of ways to help increase the effects of your body treatment. They typically begin with a gentle patting that steadily increases into more vigorous tapping. Then, they'll use compression to target particularly sore or troubled areas by localizing the therapeutic heat of the venik. You may take some breaks to sit in the sauna or take a quick dip in the plunge pool before continuing your treatment.
It's an invigorating experience that has a multitude of benefits, but if you're unfamiliar with it, you may be hesitant to try it out. Here's why the Platza treatment shouldn't be overlooked:
- The heated leaves and motion of the venik increases heat, which helps you relax and relieves sore and tired muscles.
- As the venik hits the skin, it improves blood flow and circulation. This also releases phytoncides, which attack pathogens.
- The technique specifically targets the lungs, helping them open up, improve breathing, and reduce congestion.
- The leaves themselves help improve skin and heal wounds. There are different kinds of venik, each with their own properties. The most common are birch and oak. Birch is best for cleaning and rejuvenation, while oak is good for treating oily skin.
- The essential oils that are used contain vitamins A and C, help improve metabolism, and aid the benefits to your skin and muscles.
So, next time you're at our spa, take a walk on the wild side and try out the Platza treatment! Your Russian sauna experience is not complete without one.